So I got TA2MUN and TA9OHC’s LightAPRS tracker. These guys designed it for ballooning, but it can be used for auto tracking, or anything, really.
What it is:
- Ready-assembled PCB: all components are SMD and already soldered
- Open Source: Software is open. You can easily modify the source code. The source code is shared via GitHub for different use cases (pico balloon, HAB, car, etc.)
- Arduino Compatible CPU: Since CPU is ATMega based, you can use Arduino IDE and libraries to program LightAPRS. (VSCode, also , with Arduino plugin)
- Extendable: Using I2C and SPI pins you can add extra sensors ( and their libraries) to LightAPRS..
- 1 Watt Radio: In fact you don’t need 1 Watt radio module for balloon projects but for your other projects you definitely will
- High Quality GPS: The U-Blox M8 line is superb. I use them in my own designs.
What the beast looks like. I mounted an SMA connector so I can connect to standard antennas.
I have really enjoyed getting this thing on the air.
If you want to learn more, visit https://www.lightaprs.com
To buy one, go to https://www.qrp-labs.com