This afternoon, I fired up a browser on my iMac, and logged into my web-based KiwiSDR. I then took Rogue Amoeba’s LoopBack, and made a virtual audio cable from Safari, to WSJT-X and tuned in the 30 meter band and just watched. The band was hopping.
Here is the screen shot of the action.
I am going to get an Elad Tmate-2 tuning accessory for my SDRPlay RSP2Pro. This device is a bit pricy, but it will make using the RSP2Pro much easier. Couple that with a good desktop running SDRUno, and I thing I will have a great receiver, when coupled to the mag loop set up I am designing (Mounted high, with a rotor for nulling and remote control).
When I get it, I will let everyone know how it works out.
73 de KD1IT
Yesterday, I received a ZUMSPot modem that plugs into a RaspberryPI. I opened to have it in a Raspberry PI3 B+, with integrated WiFi. After setting up PIStar on the unit, I started having conversations with people in England, Canada and the East coast of the United States. Basically, the ZUMSpot is a hotspot for Data/DMR/etc digital voice modes. It can connect to reflectors to allow you to see other people listed and make a call to them. Very cool. I am trying to get a friend in NH to get one, and get on it, so we can chat while the solar flux is at its lowest. HF hasn’t been too good lately.
Will say m
More on the ZUMSpot and MMVDM as I get more and more used to using it.
So, I am interested in building a MMDVM (Multimode Digital Voice Modem) for hooking into DSTAR. So, I spent 8 hours working on a PI-Hat similar to the ZumSpot Pi Zero. Since ZumSpot seems to be dead, I decided to build my own. I finally have the schematic done, board placed and routed. Now, to get them built.
FWIW, I love the ST Micro STM32 MCUs. I use them in our professional work, through I am using a less powerful one on this design.
Here are photos of top and bottom:
Well, I have received a SDRPlay RSP-2Pro and I love it. Such a beautiful SDR. The folks at SDRPlay really did a nice job on this thing. I run SDRUno with it on a (ick) Windows 10 installation in BootCamp on my MacBook Pro and it is a nice combo. (Hey SDRPlay, you should have me port SDRUno to macOS!). What I like about the RSP-2pro is the metal case, and that it has 3 antenna inputs. a Hi-Z, a standard SMA antenna connection, and a bias-t SMA antenna connection (to power those LNAs, etc). The thing really shines, and compared to the RSP-1, the difference is amazing. Another SDR for the shack!
So, been having a bit of fun doing things with WSPR and such. But today, I got to try JT65 for the first time. Receive only, mind you. I have the output of KiwiSDR piping into MultiPSK and I am very surprised on how good it works.
My day job keeps me busy (I run a company and also try to be one of the engineers). Anyway, I was playing around this weekend with OpenWebRX. I have an SDRPlay RSP1. I decided to do a little hacking/configuration and build a remote receiver. I used, originally, a Raspberry PI 2, but found that the CPU would get maxed out. I switched to a Raspberry Pi 3 and discovered it has plenty of horsepower to do this. I downloaded OpenWebRX and then used HB9FXQ (Frank Werner-Krippendorf)’s SDRPlayPorts code to build play_sdr and feed it to OpenWebRX. The result, a nice running remote SDR.